After passing through the thunderstorm, I had to reset our course. The ship was moved away from its original path considerably that all the measurement and culculation had to be done again. Cass had reovered from sea sick and was practising his magic on the deck.
‘We shall arrive Castle Hall in two days.’ I clapped after seeing him jumping over two barrels and tripling one of my sailors over.
‘Great. I can’t wait to go back to land.’
‘We can stay at Castle Hall for few days to search for news about Dark Alliance of the Elfs and navigation beyong this island.’
Castle Hall is a large island with busy harbours. Merchants and advanturers from all over the world gathered here to seek fortunes. This place offered hopes as well as opportunities. Anyone could easily become a luckier person when he landed his feet here.
I ordered sailors to bring out as many sacks of corns as they could. Once this merchandise was sold, I should get enough profits to buy supplies for the following journey.
While I was talking to various potential buyers, a young man with smiling face approached me.
‘How do you do, sir. My name is Souley, the priest of Iskala temple. I heard that you are from the South Cardiff island right?’
‘Yes.’ I looked at the stranger carefully. His eyes were clear and innocent, not a single shadow at all.
‘This city is currently troubled by wild beasts at suburbs. I pray you and your companions stay within the city during your time here.’
‘I thank you for the warning. I will pass the message on.’
The young priest bowed and left. Then I noticed there were other official-looking people addressing to new comers at the harbour in a similar fashion.
‘So they have beast problems here too.’ Cass came to me.
‘Why do animals leave their habitas? Is there anything in forests or is there not enough food? said Arya
‘I don’t think they are looking for food. At least in my region. It is more like they lost the sense of direction.said Cass
‘There may be some connections. I would like to have a thorough investigation myself.’-said Arya
‘How are you going to do it?’
‘Go for sightseeing around suburbs.’
After making arrangement for my ship and sailors and sorting out the lodging for Cass and myself, walked through the residential area and arrived the south end of the city. Several workers were putting up fences along the field, while soldiers were guarding at side. One of them became alert when he saw me.
‘Back to the city, citizen. It’s dangerous here.’
‘I just want to look around this area for a bit. I won’t disturb your work.’-said Arya
‘Back off. If you got killed I will lose my job. Chuuu! Chuu!’
The soldier brandished his spear in front of me, trying to chase me away.
‘Ease, brother. All I want is to go over there for ten minutes. I won’t touch anything.’ I began moving to the field. The woodland was not far.
‘One more step I will arrest you! Now back!’ The soldier shouted.
‘It won’t do you any harm. I will leave as soon as I have a look around.’ I tried to persuade the soldier while struggling through the long grass by lifting the end of my robe.
‘Don’t go any further! The monsters will …… Ah, priest, please come here. There is an unreasonable man trying to go into the field.’
‘I can see. Sir, would you stop there?’
I turned around. The priest I saw at the harbour was standing next to the soldier, smiling.
‘Don’t worry. I will come back before you are off from work.’ I continued through the grass.
‘Sir, I won’t say it again.’said the soldier
Suddenly, a sharp pain ran across my body; an invisible whip was tightened around me. Totally paralysed, I fell to my feet.
‘No! Let him off!’
From far away Cass was running to this way. He dashed into the field and picked me up.
‘Are you all right?’
He then turned to the priest, glaring at him with anger. ‘What are you doing?!’
‘I apologise for the pain I incurred on you, but it is for your own safety.’ Despite of his young age, the priest spoke with a firm voice.
Now Cass turned to me, staring with anger. ‘Arya, how come you just disappeared?’
‘Well, it is only a twenty minutes tour. I don’t want to bother anybody.’ I robbed my elbow. ‘These people are quite forceful. Not even giving five minutes away.’
‘Of course not! They are here to enforce the law. They can put you into jail!’
‘So serious?’ I squeezed my eyebrows. ‘I just want to walk to the other side of the field…..’
‘Arya, this is a proper city governed by a lord and his officers. You can’t wander around like in the wild. They set up rules and people have to follow.’
While Cass and I were talking, the priest came to us.
‘I am afraid everyone in this city has to abide by our lord‘s order, no matter what his origin is. Now could you both return to the city?’
‘Are you sure I can’t go into the field? I am really curious about those wild beasts. Just a quick look ……’said Arya
‘Sir! This odd man is a country pumpkin!’ The soldier yelled. ‘He thinks he is a tourist here!’
‘I understand our customes may be strange to a foreigner, but it is for your own good. Let me escort you back to the city.’
The young priest extended his arm as a curtesy to let me walk before him. Puzzled and slightly annoyed, I couldn’t figure out why I was not allowed to go where I wanted, especially when it wouldn’t bother anyone. I lifted my robe and struggled through the grass again.
I was about to leave the field when soldiers began to mutter. Workers left the fence and ran behind bushes, setting up a row of crossbows.
‘Go back to the city. Quick!’
The priest returned to the field, giving orders to soldiers. Everyone took up his post with some sort of nerves. The grass near the woodland started moving and parting. The low beast-like noise groaned and hawled across the opening ground. The shadow of a creature gradually emerged and made appearance in front of human eyes.
‘What the hell?!’ A soldier gasped.
A gigantic four-legged animal, no, monster, came out of the grass. The thick and dark mane grew around its large head and went along its back down to the tail. Its black fur shone with the movement of muscles when the beast walked. After glancing through the minor creatures at front with its large red eyes, the monster roared furiously.
‘Is it a …lion?’ I wondered.
‘I don’t think there’s black lion.’ Cass looked up and down the beast. ‘It doesn’t look happy.’
‘I am going to sit there and watch.’
‘Are you not going to help?’said Cass
‘That priest looks capable. Besides, I don’t want to step on another unknown rule of his.’
Under the priest’s command, numerous darts were shooted out from bushes. Obviously, they couldn’t inflict any harm on the beast because of its thick fur. Soldiers tried to attack with their spears. None of their weapons went through either. The priest murmured some words. Next moment a warm light emerged from his palms and hit straight on the creature’s chest. The beast stepped back and groaned painfully.
The priest held his hands together again to summon for next holy power. The beast shaked its head and turned around, slashing its tail towards the priest.
‘Watch out!’
Cass warning managed to help the priest in time. He dodged the beast’s attack. But it came after him now. He was too busy avoiding the attack to say his pray.
‘I shall lend him a ….ah, I left my wizard cariad in our lodging.’ Cass realised his back was empty when he lifted his arm for the weapon. ‘Arya, give him a hand.’
‘He may put me into jail.’
‘Don’t be narrowed-minded. He needs help.’
Before I could say anything, Cass ran to the soldiers and grabbed a spear.
‘Hey, you hairy straw, try this one!’ After shouting at the beast he threw the spear to it. The spear was manoeuvred with such a force that it dived into the beast’s flesh.
The injuried monster turned towards Cass. It charged across the field with great speed. Cass grabbed another spear to toss at it, but the creature avoided the attack this time. It lifted its claws to try to catch the empty-handed warrior. Cass jumped to the side and ran away as fast as he could.
Cold wind blew and the sky darkened. Suddenly a lightning stroke down from above and blasted the creature. A burned smell soon spreaded across the field. The monster collapsed and lied on the ground still.
‘Is it dead?’ Soldiers went to poke it with their spears. The body didn’t move at all.
‘I hope you won’t blast the lightning on me.’ Cass joked.
‘Your brave deeds helped me in time.’ The priest walked to the dead monster and examined it carefully.
I moved close to the monster too. Soldiers eyed me with suspect.
‘You are not going to take it home as souvenir.’ One of them said.
‘Ah, is it a rule as well?’
‘It is legal evidence for official investigation. No one is allowed to touch.’
‘I see.’ I was amazed by these people who could set up rules on everything around them.
A while later the priest ordered the body to be burned. Workers went back to the edge of the field to carry on building the fence.
‘You are not ordinary citizens. None of you showed any sign of fear when the creature appeared.’ The priest said.
‘I am a wizard in my village we have same problems too, although animals we encountered were not that vicious and hostile as we saw here.’-Said Cass
‘So it happens in the South too?’
‘I am not sure about the South. I am from the west borders.’
The priest pondered as he heard what Cass said.
‘Is it convenient for you to come to my office now? I would like to ask more information about the animal problem.’
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário